19 April 2010

Trip Through Gooseberry.

Jael Lang commissioned me to make a painting for her husband John for their anniversary which they celebrated yesterday. (...so it's now safe to post this today). I was happy to oblige. I’ve been friends with John Lang for over 20 years. We grew up together in North Minneapolis (....and for some reason both moved out of that area). I was even the best man at their wedding.

Jael asked for a painting about makng the journey through life with someone you love. She told me a story about a camping trip they took to Gooseberry Falls State Park on the North shore of Lake Superior, shortly before they were married.
They were hiking and decided to wander off of the main path on to what turned out to be an over grown deer trail. This lead to Gooseberry River. They jumped from rock to rock to the middle of the river.There they sat. It was beautiful and peaceful...  and fun.

In this painting I decided to catch them in the action of making their way out to the rock. Here they are helping one another. I wanted to acknowledge how maintaining a good relationship is active rather than passive.
I’ve been married for almost nine years and sometimes it is work. I have to be very conscious of what I do. (Like most people, I can easily turn into a jackass). Anyway, work is good... keeps you happy and healthy...

I have never been to Gooseberry Falls State Park before so I took Jael's suggestion and referenced pictures online. Of course it's beautiful. Much of the Gooseberry River has rocky banks and the water appears to move rapidly and mist and spray.
I intentionally made the water bluer than it appears in the photographs I referenced. In these pictures it's greenish brown. It is probably from silt on the bottom and from reflecting the color of the thick wooded areas around it. But I made the water blue with little yellow sun reflections. This seemed more appropriate to the content.
No one wants a painting about their relationship to be poop brown. Right?

In other news...

I am still working on Orin’s painting  but will finish it this week and will post it on Friday. Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions on the Panda Facebook Page. Upon consulting with him, Orin decided to go with seeing the animals from his point of view rather than seeing the human figure. This makes more since to me too.

Anyway, Thank You John and Jael for your friendship and for asking me to paint for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog. I used to do this, but due to my hectic schedule i wasnt able to continue. Now i am switching to Fast Online Degrees so that i can get enough time left to dedicate to painting.

Unknown said...

I am certain that you're together with nothing could possibly be bad the real key. In actual fact, rado replica are usually one of the greatest points that developed towards your online business. However , those stunts usually do not at all times job. Quite often these get you to affluent, rolex replica sale they just do not. Regretably, any uncomfortable on her, they just do not job 99% of that time period and while they just do not, it all rates everyone. Jackets were definitely useful to preserve any circuitry within the replica watches sale. Meant for to begin with by chance, clearly there was a watch constructed which had been straightforward provider even more well-performing given that that this has got a fewer number of sections compared with normal longines replica. It is actually clear to see so why any construction of them pieces was initially a good cutting edge enhancement during watch story. Spork set about this investigate together with enhancement for this different theory during 1953. The best prototypes within the Accutron pieces were definitely manufactured in 1955. Pc training courses point in time, revenue or simply effort and hard work. Alongside patterns are sometimes made pieces, accomplished deeper investigation together with iwc replica sale for this impressive see earning system.