03 January 2014

Baby Willa in a Bright World of Geometric Animals...


 I was asked to paint a portrait of 3 month old Willa by her proud father, Matt. It is a birthday present for mom. 
Matt sent me a couple of photos of Willa to work from along with several photos of the cute/insanely patterned chair that she sits in. All bright geometric animals and trees. I was pleased Matt asked for them to be incorporated into the painting.  It gave me a hook.

I thought it would be cute to have Willa interact with the animal characters and originally I had a wide-eyed orange snail crawling across the limited hair on her head. However, the result of the original drawing was nothing short of creepy. Would it leave a graphic orange slime trail? I decided to settle for a cartoon tree in Willa’s balled up little fist. (I guessed at what her hand looked like. No picture. If she, in reality, is missing a finger or has one digit too many, I apologize for the inaccuracy).

I knew upon starting this lil’ portrait that I would need to paint Willa's face very soft. With a child, too many lines or too much contrast can make them look old. Like an old baby. Or maybe worse, tired and chronically fussy. Since I did not want to imply that the parents are causing sleep deprivation, I went as soft as I could. Never opened the tube of Mars Black, not even for mixing.

The trick here is to place the soft faced Willa in front of a background that is all about being bright and incredibly high in contrast. I remedied this by dulling the background with washes of white mixed with a translucent matte medium to keep her from being swallowed alive in color.

I had a good time making this painting and am happy with it. So much so that I'm going to officially open the site again for new commissions. So if you want a tiny painting, I'm your man! A man acting like a painting Panda.

Thank you, Matt and Willa and Mom. It has been a pleasure to paint for you!

2 comments:

Kimberly McNeeley said...

Well said and here article accessible for understudies and paper writing service available and you have to explain above article gratefully and impressive. Thanks for everything.

Unknown said...

coach outlet store
louis vuitton outlet
rolex replica watches
christian louboutin sale
mont blanc pens
adidas yeezy
canada gooses outlet
birkenstocks
ugg outlet
coach outlet store online clearances
2016107caiyan